Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

New York Comic Con 2013 Review

                                                                        SATURDAY

This year's New York Comic Con has reached all time highs, for example the capacity (130,000, exactly the same as San Diego Comic Con) and all time lows (the amount of disrespectful people in one place).

However, it was all in all a good experience. Unfortunately, I was unable to go all four days, but what I was able to see and experience was a great deal on the days that I did go. I was able to go to New York Comic Con this year for FREE by helping out a local convention (EternalCon) with handing out flyers in cosplay. I was there dressed as Hit Girl with a new friend who was dressed as Red Mist. And on Saturday, it was the most crowded the convention has ever been! Luckily, we were able to hand out all of the flyers, while being able to get photos with the amazing cosplayers around us.
Here is a photo of my friend Mack (Red Mist on the left) and me (as Hit Girl) with the most adorable little Kick Ass I have ever seen! This kid's father dressed up as Freddy Kugar and it was amazing.
Here's another photo of me and my friend Mack with another Kick Ass who looked EXACTLY LIKE AARON JOHNSON. It was crazy at how alike he looked!
Left: our cosplayer. Right: the movie.

Also, my friend Mack was able to get us (and other Kick Ass cosplayers) to meet the renouned comic book artist of the graphic novel Kick Ass: John Romano Jr!!
We were with another Hit Girl on the left, Kick Ass, John Romano JR, Night-Bitch, me as Hit Girl and Red-Mist!
So that was pretty much day one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUNDAY
Day two started off nicely, with my friend and I again in our Kick Ass cosplays to meet Chloe Grace Moretz!
However, what was not good was how fast we met her, (which was literally a "hi and bye!" scene). And that to get a photo with her it was $95, but autographs was $75. Still outrageous for those who have to pay for a 3-day weekend ticket to the convention AND THEN having to shell out MORE money to meet the celebrities. However, I got to pay at half-price to my friend, so it wasn't much of a problem for me to pay to meet her.
The second after the photo was done, I was immediately shedding my cosplay and pulling on my normal day clothes. It was way too hot that day in order to wear the cosplay during the whole day and I wanted to get photos of other cosplayers that day as well.
Another note that was not good, was the fact that usually on Sundays, the dealer's room will have sales. Like, really good sales. And that day, when I wanted to get these supercute superhero underwear (that was for $9!!), it was still the same price as it was on Saturday. So I forgo-ed the purchase.
However, even though I was technically an Exhibitor (Vender's Pass), the pass that I actually had was "Press". So, my friend and I ventured up to the exhibitor/press lounge, where there were NO lines at all to get lunch, and it was super quiet upstairs, which was a nice welcome. We then realized at the end of the hall were Interview Rooms for the celebrities, and stumbled upon an Interview with the Sleepy Hollow Cast!



Left to right: Tom Mison (Ichabod Crane), Katia Winter (Katrina Crane), Writer/Producer/Director Len Wiseman, Creator/Producer Alex Kurtzman, Nicole Beharie (Lt. Abbie Mills), and Orlando Jones (Captain Frank Irving).

They had assumed that I was also press like the others in the room, and Orlando Jones noticed my camera and made everyone look over with a smile towards me. Which was pretty awesome, I had to admit.
Sunday was by far better than Saturday. A bit less people. Able to sort-of meet the cast of Sleepy Hollow (which I have yet to watch. that may be a Review Saturday thing). And able to meet up with a few friends and some Awesome cosplays! Here are a few that I greatly enjoyed on Sunday!


My love, Tony Stark.
Kick Ass 2 Crew!

Daryl Dixon and Maggie Greene from The Walking Dead
Mako Mori from Pacific Rim (and me)


Simon from MISFITS!
(Note: This is actually the same person that I met at Connecticon!)
Left: is from NYCC, Right is Connecticon! And he was super sweet to talk to after I took the photo :)
And lastly but not least:


This amazing Harley Quinn!

Let's just hope that next year I'll be going all FOUR days of New York Comic Con! (October 9th-12th, 2014)
                                                                                                                          -AlisonInGeekland

No comments:

Post a Comment