Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

Sexism in Geek Culture

Now I know that most people are sick of listening about how "men wronged women" and the deplorable actions and comments that men say about women. But seriously, I don't think I'll stop posting about this until men realize that they are not treating women like normal human beings.  And so, this is an article that I would love for people to read that popped up on facebooksexism on Tumblr.
See that photo of the cute girl up there? That’s my friend, who I photographed a couple of years ago. Here’s the original photo, in case you were wondering:
image
The thing is, my model was underage when we took this photo together, and now she’s the poster face of a YouTube channel, and you pretty much get the idea of this channel from the preview screenshot. Now I’ve had this photograph ripped off countless times since I  first uploaded it, but never like this.
The screenshot above is the intro to every video the owner of his channel has uploaded since summer, and that’s a lot. Let’s take a look at what this is about, shall we?
Basically, he plays games while talking about women. Nothing wrong with that, except… here’s some titles translated for your reading convenience:
"CSS Commentary - Stupid sluts go!"
"BO II Commentary - Sluts Makeup Hard Anal"
"Sluts #3 - Fat tits and duckfaces hot :3"
"Sluts #4 - Fame-whoring Facebook bitches"
Essentially, those are Let’s Play videos, but the “commentary” was so fucked up I can’t even deal with all the videos.  Here’s an excerpt of a video he narrated together with a friend.
…and the topic we’re going to cover today is a very explosive one, it’s all about unfaithful dirt-sluts. You’ve probably all had your experiences with those. And the thing is, it happens all the time…
… all the time they whine on Facebook, about how they just want a guy that will love and accept them… they find one, but still look at other guys… and they’re like oh yeah, do you want to hang out? They’re provoking it, they’re simply asking to be punched, they want it but don’t tell anyone, best case they’ll just get a ??? pimp punch with 500 meters in run… 
…and I’m gonna give you some advice… if there’s a girl and she’s complaining about her boyfriend and saying she needs to take a break and she’s gonna leave him and she doesn’t want to be with him anymore… don’t fall for it, don’t touch her, amputate her, she’s doing it for the attention, like look I’ve got a boyfriend but other guys still want me,…
LITTLE WHORES!
…so if she has a boyfriend and or she’s simply flirting with a lot of guys… hands off, she’s a dirty slut.
…for example, I met a chick, and she always complained about how her boyfriend is stalking her, controlling her, and she’s feeling like crap but you gotta know, that’s the way they want it, they need that, in this day and age you have to be a bit of an asshole or just total asshole to make it work, in any case…
[talks about how that girl left her bf and started dating him instead, but broke up 2 weeks later to go back to her ex]
…gimme her address, we’re going over, we’re burning the bitch down and the guy, i dunno, we’ll punch him through the window.
[goes on to talk about her sexual skills]
… I mean, that dirty little whore, who does she think she is?! She took me home after a night out and we’re making out and she’s just undressing herself? First of all, why doesn’t she leave that to me, I guess she just couldn’t wait, the dirty whore, couldn’t wait to get my cock in her mouth…
I’ve checked all the videos since he first started using the intro involving my photograph, and what I translated above is just the tip of the iceberg.
Let that sink in: An underaged girl used as the poster face of a series of extremely hateful, misogynist, slur-filled speeches. Someone called her a"Chinese sex doll :3"
(She’s half Korean and half German, but of course every Asian has to be Chinese, am I right? And how, HOW do you go from a clean and simple portrait photo to a sex doll? Who makes this association? )
Usually, if someone asks me nicely if my work can be used for something, I won’t say no. In this case, not only was I not asked, but the context of the usage is so fucking offensive that I’m not going to let this go.
So here’s what: After messaging this guy and receiving a pretty rude response, I reported each and every instance of my photo used in his videos, but it can be hard to get something like this resolved. Especially since my photo only shows for a moment (but she’s still very easy to recognize), and there’s some stuff on Facebook and FB is horrible about resolving copyright claims. You can help.
Here’s an extensive list of all the videos and images he’s made featuring my work:
(a whole video about the stupidity of emancipation)
Feel free to report. You can report as much or as little as you want. Here’s how to do it on YouTube:
image
Or you can report the entire channel! Thanks to attackonthrones
image
Pick the videos with “SCHLAMPEN” (sluts) in the title! 
If anyone who reads this speaks German, I’d be grateful for more translated quotes because I honestly can’t listen to this bullshit for longer. Let’s get this piece of shit off the internet. Thank you."
This whole post was made by a lovely girl named dirkbot on Tumblr.com.

This really needs to be stopped. It just reminds me of the quote from Mean Girls:

And this other lovely quote from angels-and-angles, who says “Slut” is how we vilify a woman for exercising her right to say “yes”. “Friendzone” is how we vilify a woman for exercising her right to say “no”
Plus you should totally read her article about "nice guys" and "friendzoning".

But that's all I have for today!
-Alison-
saf

2 comments:

  1. He maybe didn't ask you, to use your picture. But what you are doing here is even more wrong. You should delete this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah she should delete it. She is the one that was offending Bibanator.
      Idk what the aim of this was...

      Delete